[Helobubbas] NAS Imperial Beach Helicopter Mishap-1968

Peter Flynn pgflynn1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:24:38 PST 2023

I was not there at the time, Mike, but I recall the story of an H-34 with a stuck throttle that ended up killing all in the aircraft. The throttle was stuck in the full open position. The pilots controlled Nr by speeding up and possibly climbing. The decision was made to fly over the field, cut off the fuel and autorotate to a safe landing. The aircraft was going really fast when the engine quit, the Nr decayed rapidly and, reportedly, the blades conned and separated from the aircraft. Or perhaps they oversped the head and the rotors departed.

Again, I was not there and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the accident. I doubt that there were many H-34’s at NASIB at that time so it may have happened long before. (I have often wondered if they had executed a zoom climbed instead of going at Vmax they could have autorotated successfully.) Perhaps there are some old hands who can comment.

Pete

> On Feb 6, 2023, at 18:12, <retiredaffairs at navalhelicopterassn.org> <retiredaffairs at navalhelicopterassn.org> wrote:
>
> Anyone on the list around Imperial Beach during 1968 on the list remember a fatal helicopter mishap which took the lives of all of the crew. I believe it took off and got over the beach heading to the dip areas and immediately turnaround and returned to the airfield completing autorotation ending up a Class A and loosing the crew. I am not sure what model helicopter it was. Our former Congressman from Imperial Beach has reached out to NHAHS to help them identify the crew involved for a city memorial they are planning……We are assisting the former congressman and mayor, Brian Bilbray of Imperial Beach with this…mgb
>
> Mike Brattland  CDR USN (Ret.)
> NHA Retired Affairs Director/Membership/Signal Charlie Coordinator
> NHA Trustee
> NHA/NHAHS/NHASF Webmaster  CGAA LTM P-5463
> Naval Helicopter Association (NHA) LTM #70  R-12230
>    <image001.png>
>  P.O Box 180578
> Coronado, California 92178-0578
> 619 435-7139 Office  619 454-0496 Cell